Are you itching to start your own garden or improve the yield from the one you already have but feel that gardening is too challenging or time consuming for your busy schedule? Would you like to enjoy fresh, home-grown produce every month of the year?
Backyard Bounty is like having your own master gardener to consult every step of the way. This encyclopedic reference demystifies gardening, bringing it back to the down-to-earth, environmentally practical activity that anyone can enjoy. Learn about:
- Planning your garden and preparing the soil
- Organic fertilizers and simplified composting
- Growing healthy seedlings, transplanting, easy weeding and mulching
- Growing fruit and simple pruning methods
- Greenhouses, tunnels, and containers
- Organic pest management and more
Packed with a wealth of information specific to the Pacific Northwest, this complete guide emphasizes low maintenance methods, exposes common gardening myths, includes a monthly garden schedule for year-round planting and harvesting, and features plant profiles for everything from apples to zucchini. Perfect for novice and experienced gardeners alike, Backyard Bounty shows how even the smallest garden can produce a surprising amount of food twelve months of the year.
Linda Gilkeson is a passionate organic gardener with over forty years of gardening experience. She is a regular instructor in the Master Gardener programs in British Columbia and has led hundreds of workshops on pest management and organic gardening. Her Year-Around Harvest is considered the definitive guide to winter gardening on the west coast.
- English, Published English, Original Language English, Unknown